“Keeping Up — With Myself”
There used to be the saying that a person was trying “to keep up with the Jones,” meaning that they were trying to live life like some neighbor or friend. I find that I have trouble just keeping up with myself. Life offers more and more opportunities to be places and do things, usually very important things.
So what should we do? At our best we should keep in step with the Spirit of God. It is His job to guide us into all truth. He will show us those things that are most important.
How do we get in step with the Holy Spirit? Following are some suggestions:
1. Be certain of your salvation in Jesus Christ.
2. Read God’s Word with open mind and heart.
3. Pray by not just speaking but also by listening to what God says.
4. Apply Biblical and moral principles to your life.
5. Use what you have learned from God in ministering to others.
6. Pray without ceasing.
7. Yield to where the Spirit guides you.
I guess that I am learning that it is more important to keep up with the Spirit than it is to keep up with the Jones or with myself.